Lighthouse Santa Cruises to Preserve Pomham Rocks Lighthouse
On December 8th, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer beamed his powerful blinking red light to locate the Fixed Red Light of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse for the first appearance of Lighthouse Santa. Instead of flying a sleigh, Rudolph’s team of Reindeers towed the boat of Lighthouse Santa in the Narragansett Bay!
Lighthouse Santa rang a large bell on his voyage to announce his arrival and to raise public awareness of the historic Lighthouse to the residents of East Providence, Rhode Island. A “Santa Sighting” shined a Light on the Lighthouse located 800-feet offshore from the popular Riverside Bike Path to raise public awareness.
The best land location to view Pomham Rocks Lighthouse is along the 14-mile long East Bay Bike Path located in the East Bay Tourism Region. Imagine, a jolly old red clad elf needed to promote awareness of a Lighthouse to a coastal community due to limited access according to Laura McNamara, vice-president of the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse!
The Lighthouse Santa celebration was held to raise public awareness for the preservation of the Lighthouse and awareness for the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse who been raising funds to restore the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse. Don Doucette, president of the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse played the role of “Lighthouse Santa” as Christmas celebrators gathered on the Bike Path, wharfs, boats, and roadways to listen to Christmas music and the clanging of Santa’s bell in the true Lighthouse spirit of Christmas!
Brief Lighthouse Background:
Pomham Rocks Lighthouse was built in 1871 to mark the dangerous rock at the edge of the shipping channel to the Port of Providence. The Lighthouse was First Lit on December 1, 1871 exhibiting a Fixed Red light illuminated by a Sixth-order Fresnel lens as part of the ongoing program to improve the navigational aids in the Narragansett Bay and the Providence River.
In 1974, the Lighthouse was decommissioned and replaced by an automatic Fixed Red Light on a square skeletal tower located near the south western corner of the deactivated Lighthouse. Mobil Oil Company, purchased the property in 1980 to “preserve the continuity of the waterfront area.”
Since 2005, ExxonMobil has leased the historic Lighthouse at no cost to a new chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse, who raised funds to restore the exterior of the Lighthouse and the beacon. During a grand gubernatorial relighting ceremony, Pomham Rocks Lighthouse was relit as an Active Aid to Navigation on July 30, 2006.
For more information about the Lighthouse, please click on the photo of this post.
For a Map Location of the Lighthouse, please visit the Google Map of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse
In keeping with the Spirit of the Season, Ed the Editor has recovered and returned to posting his colorful commentary about current events and blogging broadcasts! Blissful Bloggers are rejoicing over the good news!