Dyce Head Lighthouse to Shine Brightly Again
Neither sea nor storms nor the latest GPS technology can keep a Lighthouse Dark forever! In a strange twist of fate, our navigational heroes received town approval to reactivate Dyce Head Lighthouse on October 22.
Dyce Head Lighthouse has been dark for 72 years after the Coast Guard erected a skeleton Light tower in 1935. The new Light tower has not been active for two months after a September microburst wind storm twisted and bent the steel navigational aid!
Dyce Head Lighthouse was built in 1829 exhibiting a Fixed White Light to guide shipping entering the Penobscot River toward the lumber port of Bangor, Maine. The Lighthouse was deactivated due to a decrease in navigation and budget cutbacks. The town of Castine acquired the Keeper’s house in 1937 and the Lighthouse in 1956.
The town restored the Light Station from 1999 to 2000. According to Frank Wiswall, a Planning Board member, approving Coast Guard Access to restore, maintain, and operate the Beacon in the Lighthouse will provide a improved cost effective navigational aid that will be 100-feet higher with safer access than the shore skeleton Light tower.
The Aids to Navigation Team will install a modern 300 mm lighthouse optic as soon as a electrical easement is approved for wiring a separate power line to the Tower.
Dyce Head Lighthouse is closed to the public and the Keeper’s house is leased to private tenants. Visitors are welcome to view the Lighthouse from a distance.
For Map Directions, please visit the Google Map of Dyce Head Lighthouse.
Related News Story:
Castine Residents Help Get Dyce Head Lighthouse Shining Again and Bob Trapani for providing the news lead. Bob Trapani is one the many Lighthouse heroes on the front-line who are saving and preserving American Lighthouses.