Little River Lighthouse Scouts
Local Boy Scouts from Troop 23 in South Portland, Maine have been helping with the ongoing restoration of Little River Lighthouse for the past two years. A innovative idea to learn camping survival skills and community service on a remote island where the boys are helping to repair the historic Lighthouse.
On this 5-day trip, the boys donated a new stove, repaired the hot water heater, and the bathroom of the Lighthouse Keeper’s home. The troop also marked the rediscovered graves of shipwrecked sailors buried on the island in the late 1800’s and voted favorably to camp at the island Lighthouse every year.
Due to the efforts of two troops from southern Maine rebuilding the walls of the collapsed cistern last year, Hal Biering, a volunteer from Alabama, constructed a custom-made liner over the winter which he installed into the cistern this summer for collecting rain water from the roof. For the first time in over thirty years, the Lighthouse on the small island in the harbor of Cutler, Maine has clean water.
The present 41-feet high cast-iron Lighthouse was built in 1876 to replace the first Little River Lighthouse constructed in 1847 to guide the fishing fleet into Cutler Harbor. In 1980, the Fifth-order Fresnel lens was removed and the Lighthouse was replaced by an automated light located on a skeleton tower.
After 21 years of darkness, Little River Lighthouse was re-lighted on Oct 2, 2001 as an Active Aid to Navigation once again guiding the active fishing fleet home. On July 27, 2002, ownership of the Lighthouse was transferred to the American Lighthouse Foundation for restoration and preservation. Currently, the Lighthouse exhibits a Flashing White Light every 6 seconds 56-feet above sea level to a visible range of 13 nautical miles.
Little River Lighthouse is best viewed by boat. Bold Coast Charters provides coastal sightseeing and Machias Seal Island Puffin cruises that pass by the Lighthouse.
Google Map of Little River Lighthouse
Related News Sources:
Little River Lighthouse Gets Clean Water For First Time In Decades, Aug 28, 2007
Scout Troop 23 Returns To Little River Lighthouse, Aug 28, 2007