Point Reyes Lighthouse at Sundown
The Lighthouse was built at the end of the treacherous Point Reyes Peninsula 22-miles north of Golden Gate to safeguard shipping en-route to San Francisco. For 105 years, Point Reyes Light warned navigation of the dangerous headland jutting 10-miles out to sea and blanketed by blinding fog for weeks during the summer.
Map of Point Reyes Lighthouse
A wooden stairway with 300-steps was built to descend 2,600-feet to the Light Tower from the top of the cliff.
Point Reyes Light was First Lit on December 1, 1870 exhibiting Flashing White Light every 5-seconds 265-feet above sea level illuminated by a First-order Fresnel lens to a visible range of 24 nautical miles at sea and a 4-wick Lard oil lamp.
In 1975, Point Reyes Light was automated by placing a modern flashing aerobeacon on top of the Fog building. Surprisingly, the original Light Tower, Fresnel lens, and clockwork mechanism was not removed and the 1870 Point Reyes Light Station is maintained by the National Park Service.
For more information about the Lighthouse and the Visitor Center, please visit: NPS History of Point Reyes Lighthouse